If you want to mix up a Bloody Mary, why not throw in some omega-3 fatty acids for a nutrient boost? The secret ingredient: Kale. This leafy green is an excellent natural source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help memory and protect the heart and joints.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Politics
That said, drink the alcohol in moderation so you don’t cancel out all the health benefits of the vegetables in this delicious, slightly spicy, tomato-based drink.
- 1 tablespoon kale (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 1/2 ounces of vodka
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1 branch of celery to garnish
- Purée the kale in a blender or food processor, then grate the ginger into a bowl.
- Combine the pureed kale, ginger, ground pepper and turmeric in a shaker filled with ice. Add the vodka and tomato juice and shake.
- Strain over an ice-filled glass. Garnish with celery.
Serving size = 1 cocktail